Enrollment at One Spark Academy for 2018-2019
One Spark Academy, at its present location (the Thousand Oaks Teen Center), has limited capacity. We use four classrooms, the kitchen, the gym, and the beautiful outdoors. However, we also keep our classrooms small in size and try to balance the various grades and learning levels. This year, some of our classes closed during pre-registration and remained closed all year. We expect that trend to continue this year.
- May 1 and May 3: Prospective Family Tours (about 1.5 hrs, within time frame of 10:00-12:30)
- May 1: Pre-registration opens to new families
- June 13: Fall Parent Information Meeting
Here’s what you need to know:
- Priority: Priority for next year is given to students who are enrolled in Session 4. Continuing students are given priority for pre-registration. Priority is also given to full-time students, or those committing to our full year courses, which have limited space. Students coming 3-5 days a week and/or on our Flex Plan are considered “full time”.
- Pre-registration: In April, current families will have the option to place a deposit for 2018-2019 pre-registration. This non-refundable deposit of $200 applies toward next year’s registration. We only accept as many pre-registrants as we can guarantee spots for in our full year courses (directed math, ELA, English Literature, Mapping the World by Heart, etc). Once we know who is committed to returning, then we open up remaining spots for new families to pre-register.
- After we assess our available spots, pre-registration is available to new families. We expect this to start around May 1. We will have the most space for 6th grade (eight F/T spots) and maybe a few spots for 7th and 8th.
- Pre-registration spots are not necessarily first come-first served. We will use our discretion to ensure a balance of grades, and also give priority to families who have toured the program, met with us, and/or get involved with OSA in some way.
- We have an immunization requirement. Since we are small in size, we allow a limited number of spots for students who are not immunized (our herd immunity goal is above 90%). The number of these available spots depends on who in our current population decides to pre-register. Families requesting a spot for non-immunization must make this request in writing (email) BEFORE placing a pre-registration deposit.
- Get involved! Sign up for our monthly newsletter, come to events, and follow us on FaceBook. This helps ensure that prospective families are “in the loop” for upcoming events and feel confident in the program’s mission.
- Join us on Wednesday, June 13 for a Parent Information Meeting! 6:45-8:30 PM. EVERYONE who plans to attend next year should attend this meeting. However, by this date, it is expected that ALL pre-registration spots will be taken. This meeting will include important details about next year: our calendar of sessions, new classes, 2019 adventure dates, registration process, and so much more. RSVP for the meeting here.
- What if I don’t get a pre-registration spot? Can I still enroll? YES! We often have students enroll at the last minute, mid-year, or even in the last session. However, full-time spots with your student’s first choice courses will not likely be available after the summer.
- Who can pre-register? As a general rule, we only will accept pre-registration deposits if we’ve met your child, if you’ve toured our program, and if you have attended a meeting or are registered to attend the meeting in June. This ensures a higher likelihood that everyone is happy.
- What if I just want to take a few classes, or just have enrichment? No problem. We will have more spots available in enrichment classes than we have in our full year courses.
- What happens after I pre-register for next year? You will be kept in the loop via email. In late July, you will be emailed the new schedule and course descriptions. We will work with all pre-registrant families to create ideal schedules. This process takes about a week. Only AFTER our pre-registrants have schedules set do we open up general registration. General registration starts in early August for anyone not pre-registered.
- What if I’m not sure what math class my child needs? We will ask you a lot of questions. We also leave a little wiggle room for moving kids around should math placement require it. We will assess students in math in August, and make adjustments if needed. We also may request work samples.
- When do I submit registration paperwork? All paperwork is collected after general registration opens, in August 2018, or upon registration.
- Do you provide scholarships? No, not officially. We barely have enough money to run our program. However, we do our best to help families in need once they are in our program, by offering a spot in a class that has room, or by providing assistance for special programs. We ask that families that have the means to donate annually to our program, to prevent our general course fees from increasing.