Registration at One Spark Academy for 2020-2021
For the past nine years, One Spark Academy has operated out of the Thousand Oaks Teen Center. We use the Center’s four classrooms, the kitchen, the gym, and the beautiful outdoors. We also keep our classrooms small in size and try to balance the various grades and learning levels.
However, as we start the 2020-2021 year, we will not be at the Teen Center. Session 1 and Session 2 courses will be taught online, with the exception of a few offsite and outdoor courses. Our online and outdoor courses have strict limits on size.
The following spots currently have priority, although there is space still available in various enrichment courses:
- 7th/8th enrolled in the IvyTech/OSA Cohort (three spots)
Please note that we currently have no spots for non-immunized students in off-site courses or outdoor (in-person) courses. However, there is no immunization requirement for students taking online courses; once registered, those students will automatically be waitlisted for a non-immunized spot (on-site or off-site) should one become available in the coming year.
If you would like to be contacted about registration, please fill out the following:
Here’s how our registration works:
- Priority: Priority for each session is given to students who were enrolled the previous session. Priority is also given to full-time students, or those committing to our full year courses, which have limited space. Students coming 4-5 days a week and/or who are on our Flex Plan are considered “full time”.
- Get involved! Sign up for our monthly newsletter, come to events, and follow us on FaceBook. This helps ensure that prospective families are “in the loop” for upcoming events and feel confident in the program’s mission.
- Parent Information Meetings EVERYONE who plans to attend next year should attend a Parent Information Meeting. This meeting will include important details about the coming year, including our planned approach for safety measures, a hybrid schedule of onsite and online courses, and requirements for attendance.
- What if I don’t get a pre-registration spot? Can I still enroll? YES! We often have students enroll at the last minute, mid-year, or even in the last session. However, full-time spots with your student’s first choice courses will not likely be available after the summer.
- Who can pre-register? As a general rule, we only will accept pre-registration deposits if we’ve met your child, if you’ve toured our program, and if you have attended a meeting or are registered to attend the meeting in June. This ensures a higher likelihood that everyone is happy.
- What if I just want to take a few classes, or just have enrichment? No problem. We will have more spots available in enrichment classes than we have in our full year courses.
- What if I’m not sure what math class my child needs? We leave a little wiggle room for moving kids around should math placement require it. We will assess students in math in August, and make adjustments if needed. We also may request work samples.
- When do I submit registration paperwork? All paperwork is collected after General Registration opens in August, or upon registration. Paperwork is updated annually.
- Do you provide scholarships? No, not officially. We barely have enough money to run our program. However, we do our best to help families in need once they are in our program, by offering a spot in a class that has room, or by providing assistance for special programs. We ask that families that have the means to donate annually to our program, so that we can maintain low annual registration fees.