IvyTech Charter School (ITCS) is a free public charter school that offers a standards-based, online curriculum for their independent study students in 7th-12th grade. Since 2019, IvyTech has partnered with One Spark Academy to offer ITCS students an ON-SITE classroom option at One Spark Academy. This is a unique opportunity for a small cohort of 7th and 8th grade IvyTech students. Students in the ITCS/OSA Cohort receive up to five courses at One Spark Academy, at no cost to the family, per session (quarter).
Details on the 7th/8th grade ITCS/OSA Cohort
Joint approval (ITCS and OSA) for this classroom option is required for students who are enrolled at IvyTech, and course selections are based on the availability of classes at One Spark Academy.
- Students register with both programs. IvyTech will be the students’ official school (for transcripts and report cards), but the primary involvement will be with One Spark Academy.
- Classroom space at One Spark Academy is strictly limited, so availability in the cohort is based on OSA’s space in core courses.
- To find out more about IvyTech Charter School, go here.
- For specific questions regarding the ITCS program requirements, connect with Adreanna Diaz, Principal. Go here.
Placement is provided for IvyTech students who:
- Register early. To inquire about space in the 2022-2023 ITCS/OSA Cohort, first contact Lori Peters, OSA Executive Director, here.
- Adhere to our Participation Agreement and program philosophy.
- Meet state requirements for immunization to attend on-site classes at One Spark Academy.
- Agree to attend and commit to all the OSA courses in which they enroll.
Registration Steps for the ITCS/OSA Cohort 2022-2023:
- Get acquainted with the OSA philosophy, course schedule, and format.
- Contact One Spark Academy first to find out the availability of core courses. If room is available, families will be directed to register with IvyTech.
- Contact Diana Conner, Office Coordinator, at ITCS by emailing here. Let her know you have already been in contact with One Spark Academy.
- Students approved for the cohort are automatically included in Pre-Registration, which occurs in July.
- An orientation appointment will be set with IvyTech. ITCS Orientation weeks are in August, dates TBD. At this time, or soon thereafter, a Written Agreement will be signed. All courses taken with One Spark Academy will be included in the Written Agreement.
ITCS/OSA Cohort students get the advantage of:
- Classroom instruction with classes of 5-8 students on average
- Access to our unique enrichment and field trips
- Social-emotional skills (SEL lessons)
- A safe, friendly learning environment
- The option to take additional courses (at parent expense)
- Inclusion in 2022 Summer Programming at OSA (July 11-22 and August 1-12), at no charge
- Optional field excursion (location TBA), at no charge
Families of ITCS students need to:
- Complete OSA Registration paperwork (one time annually)
- Help ensure their student is ready each month for work turn-in of approved courses, to provide one assignment per meeting for each CCSS grade level/approved subject, met either via classroom instruction with OSA or via an IvyTech approved course.
- CORE courses prioritized: IvyTech students can enroll in core courses at One Spark Academy to replace IvyTech’s online coursework. Five courses include:
- Core courses each session selections in English and math
- Two core courses in social studies/history and/or science
- One course that is an elective (such as PE).
- If not taken with One Spark Academy, core courses would be fulfilled via IvyTech’s online curriculum, or an arrangement approved by IvyTech. Cohort students must take an approved English and math course each Session.
- Students select up to five (5) courses* per session (quarter). Some core courses (English, math, Mapping) are full-year and meet 1-2 days per week. Core courses have 1-3 hours of independent work per week. A general plan for each semester (two OSA sessions) is set with IvyTech and OSA in the Written Agreement. *Speciality enrichment courses meeting twice per week count for two of the five covered courses.
- IvyTech students must commit to at least one OSA course per session to stay in the program.
- OSA determines which five courses are covered.
- All payment for the five courses is processed by OSA and ITCS. There is no monetary balance (or refund), invoicing, or request for payment from ITCS families if their child is only taking these five courses at OSA.
- ITCS will not pay for any courses taken outside of OSA.
Cost for Additional (Optional) Courses & Activities
There is no obligation for IvyTech families with students in the ITCS/OSA Cohort to pay for additional classes (a 6th course or more). If taking five courses at One Spark Academy, the remaining courses required for a students’ grade level, as required for all public school students, could be satisfied independently and in agreement with IvyTech. However, additional classes are available at OSA, paid for by families as they would any enrichment program.
Arrangement for added courses or activities, and any exchange of payment, is done exclusively with One Spark Academy. Beyond core and enrichment courses, One Spark Academy provides the following add-on options: Supervised study sessions, private or semi-private tutoring, on-site lunch, field trips, and outdoor adventures.
- A 6th course or more: ITCS families pay for all courses beyond the five courses covered by ITCS. Individual course fees are listed on our schedule.
- All added payments from families are processed with OSA on a per-session basis.
The ITCS/OSA Flex Plan (for students wishing to be onsite full time)
The Flex Plan: Taking enough additional courses (where attendance is 4-5 days per week) may automatically qualify an ITCS student as “full time”. If ITCS students attend OSA “full time”, or their session fees exceed the Flex Plan supplement, students will automatically join the Flex Plan, which includes healthy lunch (M-TH) and any courses* at OSA beyond the five covered ITCS classes.
- The Flex plan supplement for ITCS families to attend OSA full time is $6,200*, over the course of 2022-2023. This is broken up into four per-session payments:
- Session 1: $1400 (7 weeks)
- Session 2: $1550 (8 weeks)
- Session 3: $1700 (9 weeks)
- Session 4: $1550 (8 weeks)
- *Additional costs beyond the Flex Plan rate include: Material, lab, and text fees if required; optional field trips, adventures, and excursions.