Are you interested in enrolling your child in One Spark Academy for the 2017-2018 academic year?
Please read carefully!
One Spark Academy, at its present location (the Thousand Oaks Teen Center), has limited capacity. We use four classrooms, the kitchen, the gym, and the beautiful outdoors. However, we also keep our classrooms limited in size, and try to balance the various grades and learning levels. This year, some of our classes closed last summer during pre-registration, and have remained closed all year. We expect that trend to continue this year.
If you would like to enroll in One Spark Academy next year, here’s what you must know (and do):
- Priority: Priority for next year is given to students who are enrolled in Session 4. Continuing students are given priority for pre-registration. Priority is also given to full time students, or those committing to our full year courses, which have limited space. Students coming 3-5 days a week and/or on our Flex Plan are considered “full time”.
- Pre-registration: In April, current families will have the option to place a deposit for 2017-2018 pre-registration. This non-refundable deposit of $200 applies toward next year’s registration. We only accept as many pre-registrants as we can guarantee spots for in our full year courses (directed math, ELA, English Literature, Mapping the World by Heart, etc). Once we know who is committed to returning, then we open up remaining spots for new families to pre-register.
- After we assess our available spots, pre-registration is available to new families. We expect this to start around May 1. We will have the most space for 6th grade (8 F/T spots) and maybe a few spots for 7th and 8th.
- Pre-registration spots are not necessarily first come-first served. We will use our discretion to ensure a balance of grades, and also give priority to families who have toured the program, met with us, and/or gotten involved with OSA in some way.
- We have an immunization requirement. Since we are small in size, we allow a limited number of spots for students who are not immunized (our herd immunity goal is above 90%). The number of these available spots depends on who in our current population decides to pre-register. Families requesting a spot for non-immunization must make this request in writing (email) BEFORE placing a pre-registration deposit.
- Get involved! Sign up for our monthly newsletter, come to events, and follow us on FaceBook. This helps ensure that prospective families are “in the loop” for upcoming events and feel confident in the program’s mission.
- Join us on Monday, June 19 for a Parent Information Meeting! 6:45-8:30 PM. EVERYONE who plans to attend next year should attend this meeting. However, by this date, it is expected that ALL pre-registration spots will be taken. This meeting will include important details about next year: our calendar of sessions, new classes, 2018 adventure dates, registration process, and so much more. RSVP for the meeting here.
- What if I don’t get a pre-registration spot? Can I still enroll? YES! We often have students enroll at the last minute, mid year, or even in the last session. However, full time spots with particular classes will not likely be available after the summer.
- What if I just want to take a few classes, or just have enrichment? No problem. We will have more spots available in enrichment classes than we have in our full year courses.
- What happens after I pre-register? You will be kept in the loop via email. In late July, you will be emailed the new schedule and course descriptions. We will work with all pre-registrant families to create ideal schedules. This process takes about a week. Only AFTER our pre-registrants have schedules set do we open up general registration. General registration starts in early August.
- What if I’m not sure what math class my child needs? We will ask you a lot of questions. We also leave a little wiggle room for moving kids around should math placement require it. We will assess students in math in August, and make adjustments if needed. We also may request work samples.
- When do I submit registration paperwork? All paperwork is collected after general registration opens, in August 2017, or upon registration.
- Do you provide scholarships? No, not officially. We barely have enough money to run our program. However, we do our best to help families in need once they are in our program, by offering a spot in a class that has room, or by providing assistance for special programs. We ask that families that have the means to donate annually to our program, to prevent our general course fees from increasing.