The One Spark mission is to provide an engaging, healthy and connected learning environment so that our participants and educators can thrive. We know that it only takes one spark to ignite a child’s desire to learn!
We offer quality education courses to home school or independent study students, with the benefit of flexible scheduling, classes limited in size, and a healthy, responsive environment. Our small community is centered on the philosophy of “whole child, whole family” education. We offer a common-sense approach to learning that puts the needs of students first.
Ages/Grades Served: We serve middle and high school students. All courses are open to 6th-8th graders, with a minimum age of 11-years old*. Please note that if students are enrolled in a public charter homeschool program, they must be 6th grade or higher to attend our classes. A registered 5th grader, regardless of age or maturity, may not attend classes at One Spark Academy. However, some courses are appropriate and available to older students (up to 17 years old). *Students in 6th grade who will turning 11 within the first Session are eligible.
Important things to know about One Spark:
- We are not an accredited school. If we were, we would not be able to offer such flexible scheduling. Parents must remember that they assume responsibility for the overall educational goals and criteria as outlined in their home school contract, if with a home school program, and any instruction not being provided by One Spark Academy (OSA). However, many students attend full time and treat One Spark Academy as their “school.”
- One Spark Academy has an immunization requirement, with limited exceptions due to our size.
- The courses we offer may vary from session to session. Each session we offer core math, writing, reading, at least one course in social studies and science, as well as a variety of engaging enrichment classes. Most of our enrichment courses are in STEAM fields.
- Some of our courses require independent work, and some do not. It is important that parents read the course requirements and descriptions before committing their child to a course.
- OSA can only offer quality courses if students commit to their learning. Students are expected to commit to the courses in which they are enrolled: attend regularly, be on time, be respectful, commit to expectations, and be prepared.
- While OSA may assess students in order to tailor the instructional levels and provide feedback on student progress (met requirements, didn’t meet requirements), we will not provide formal reports of grades or assessments. We will, however, provide general feedback on student progress, and/or assess any work students produce in our courses. Many core courses offer grading feedback on Edmodo.
- We do not offer any specific special education services, nor do we assume responsibility for addressing specific needs outlined in an IEP or 504 provided from a child’s public school. Students with special needs are welcome at OSA if our courses can accommodate their academic needs.
- All courses have a maximum number of students. Core or study sessions with fewer than three students may be canceled. Waitlists may be created for courses that are filled.
- We reserve the right to deny admission to any student who presents a safety risk to him/herself or others, or who do not respect the conduct code of One Spark Academy or the facility we are using.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION about Fall 2020 (Sessions 1 and 2, and perhaps longer) due to COVID-19
Sessions 1-3 are offered online with the exception of some offsite and outdoor enrichment courses. If it is safe to resume classes onsite/indoors, the following measures will be in place:
Classroom size limited (dependent on classroom and facility)
Approximate limit of 20 students on site at any given time
Cloth mouth/nose coverings worn indoors; more flexibility for outdoor activities
Increased outdoor options, with online options available
All staff, students, and parents support safety protocols:
– Cloth mouth/nose covering worn indoors at all times
– Frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizers
– Temperature checks
– No attendance of any on-site classes if students are sick
Will adjust per County and State Recommendations
Our mission is to stay healthy, stay open, and have fun!