OSA 2021 Summer Session, July 12-30
This year’s Summer Session will take place at Art Trek and focus on math and English, providing students in-person, personalized instruction and practice in a low stress, calm environment. We want to make this a productive but FUN learning time, so there will be time for math games, puzzles, and discussion.
We want to help students increase confidence in their skills and build upon where they are. Classes will meet Monday through Thursday, July 12-30, from 9:00 AM – 12:30. Between each 1.5 hour rotation for activities focused on math and English (two cohorts will be divided into 6th/7th and 8th/9th levels, with the first consideration being a student’s math level), there will be a 1/2 hour break for snack and socializing. A light snack will be provided (fruit, bagels, cheese, nuts, pita, hummus, and maybe a few treats).
GARDENING, Fridays (July 16, 25, 30): Laura Erlig will offer a Gardening Class, 9:00-10:30. Students will enjoy a lesson at the tables and have time to get their hands dirty working in the garden. Location: Las Flores Community Garden. Min/Max number for Friday is 3 to 8 students.
ONLINE BOOK CLUB 2, Wednesday evenings (July 14, 21 28, 6:30-8:00 PM): Melanie Ware will offer an online Book Club. This Club will be for students reading at an 8th-10th level, with novel to be determined and started prior to the first class (selection dependent upon attendees). Min/Max number for Friday is 3 to 8 students.
HIKING CLUB, dates TBD: Sue Eaton will be offering at 2-3 hikes this summer, dates TBA but will not interfere with M-TH summer classes. We’ll decide closer to the month so we can plan around summer heat.
- Maximum number for Monday – Thursday is 15 students.
- Students who attended OSA in Session 4 have priority. Open to students entering 7th-9th in Fall 2021, with some flexibility for incoming 6th-8th graders if there is space.
- All current OSA students (returning) and alumni do not need to fill out any forms to attend. NEW students will need to fill out a registration form (provided via email).
- No homework and all materials stay on site.
- Math: Laura and Lyra will be test-driving lessons from a new middle school math curriculum called Desmos.
- English: Melanie (and sometimes Lori) will help students build confidence with practice in reading, writing, grammar and more.
- Students are asked to keep personal technology at home or OFF and out of sight.
- Monday-Thursday, three weeks: $600, including snack.
- 9th grade students (Fall 2021) who were enrolled in the IvyTech cohort, and who remain in ITCS through July, can attend the OSA 2021 Summer Session (M-Th only) at no charge provided they are not already registered for HS credit summer school classes through ITCS.
- Friday Gardening Class: $75 for three classes.
- Online Book Club: $65 for three classes. Book cost not included.
- Hiking Club dates TBA and will be donation only, $25 per student per two-hour hike.
- We have priced the Summer Session as low as possible, so that we can pay for staff, rent and snack. It is still a hard year for many so we want to keep the Summer Session accessible. Families who have the means to help support OSA are encouraged to donate.