Alternative High School Night
Date: Tuesday, January 28th, 6:30-8:30 PM at the Thousand Oaks Teen Center
Details: One Spark Academy is hosting its 4th presentation of alternative high school programs in the southern Ventura County area. Representatives from CVUSD and at least four neighboring districts will share about their program in a panel presentation, providing a general overview and advising on which students might find most success in their programs. After the panel (about 30-40 minutes), representatives will chat with prospective families at their own tables, hand out any materials, and inform about their registration processes. For families whose students learn best in a non-traditional setting, this is an opportunity to hear about some of the wonderful alternative public school options available in Ventura County and hopefully find the best fit. Beyond high school programs, there will be a few representatives from high school level enrichment programs.
This is a FREE community event. We may not hold this meeting annually, so it is recommended for families looking “down the road”. Students are welcome to attend if accompanied by a parent. PLEASE RSVP so we know how many to prepare for.
To RSVP, please email here.
We will be featuring the following Ventura County school representatives. As we confirm other attendees, this site will be updated. We limit the number of programs per area due to time limitations for presentations.
- Century Academy (CVUSD): Dr. Yuliya Reznikova-Eisenberg (Assistant Principal) and Rachel Guyette (Counselor)
- Newbury Park High School (CVUSD): Includes block scheduling, and Data Academy. Rik Napora (Counselor)
- High School at Moorpark College: Dr. Christopher Fennell (Principal), Jessica Hendrix-Sandoval (Educator), and Eric Hoobs (Educator)
- El Camino High School at Ventura College: Jane Napora (Counselor)
- Career Education Center (Career Technical Education, VCOE): Dr. Cesar Morales (VCOE Associate Superintendent)
- Oak Park Independent School (OPIS) Kent Cromwell (Principal/Director of Alternative Education), Lori Glazer (Educator), Samantha Lyons (Educator), and Daniel O’Brien (Educator).
- Golden Valley Charter School: Meg Rydman (Director of Education), Monica Romero (Support & Development Coordinator), and Tricia Purcell (Curriculum & Assessment Coordinator)
- River Oaks Academy: Claudia Weintraub (Director), Richard Intlekofer (Counselor), and Kathy Jackson (Educator)
Also in attendance:
Engage Therapy, an outstanding local resource which “supports teens in reaching their personal goals and overcoming life’s challenges”, will provide an information table hosted by Kimberly Yudt (Director of Admissions) and Reanna Duenas (Marketing Coordinator).
The Thousand Oaks Teen Center, which provides programming and fun events for students in grades 7-12th.
The Conejo Valley Unified School District will have an information table on their various programs at area high schools for independent study and homeschool students, represented by Kim Huber, CVUSD Homeschool & Educational Programs Consultant.
This event is being sponsored by One Spark Academy.